Totally summer flavours , yummulicious soft eggless cake with rose and honey kick!
One of the fondest memories of eating cake that I have ! The popular honey cakes that you get in Indian bakeries , was the first birthday cake that I had . The cake is so flavourful with the taste of honey oozing out , that it is something to die for! Even today , it is one of the must eat in a visit to Iyengar bakery. The similar version of this cake with rose flavour is perfect for any evening with a cup of tea. The flavours are so summery that you should try it . Remember to bake the cake in the middle or lower rack , to prevent hardened and burnt edges.Always line the cake tin , since honey in the cake batter will make it stick to the walls of the cake tin. Also , the cake is best when sliced the next day or after having plenty of time to cool. This ensures that the cake does not crumble and has sharp edges. You can also douse the cake with simple sugar syrup to give it more moisture. As is the cake is dense in texture but great to eat !
makes one 8 inch
3/4 th cup yoghurt + 1/4 th cup water
3/4 th cup sugar
3/4 th cup oil
1 3/4 th cup maida
2 tablespoons cornflour
1/4 th tsp soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon rose essence
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
for jam spread
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon rose essence
2 tablespoons strawberry jam
desiccated coconut flakes to decorate
want to make your own strawberry jam , then try this recipe !
- in a bowl add , yoghurt, sugar, water , honey , rose essence ,oil and vanilla essence/sugar.
- using a Hand mixer or whisk , Beat until light and fluffy.
- this step may take 7-8 mins of whisking if using a normal whisk.
- add sifted flour, cornstarch, baking soda , baking powder .
- mix in sweeping motion into a smooth mixture .
- grease and line a baking pan .
- pour the cake batter and spread it evenly.
- tap to release any bubbles .
- bake in the middle or lower rack at 180c for 35-40 mins until a tooth pick comes out clean.
- allow to cook for 30 mins and unmould.
- in a small bowl , add honey, rose essence and strawberry jam.
- poke a few holes in the cake and when warm , spread the jam and honey mixture.
- spread some coconut flakes and allow to cool completely before slicing.
- stays good for 3-4 days in the refrigerator . Tastes best the next day.