Spicy , cheesy and satisfying vegetable lasagne, check out my take on this !
Lasagne meaning sheets and lasagna the singular form of it , is an interesting sheets of pasta layered with filling , tomato sauce and oodles of cheese. There are ways of making this but personally this is my take based on our eating preferences. Italian food uses only pepper for spicy ness but I like to add a couple of chillies. It really makes a difference in the taste, try it. I have used vegetables like onion , carrots and zucchini… these tend to go well with the flavours of the dish.
10 lasagne sheets , cooked as per package instructions
2 medium zucchini , finely chopped
1 big onion, finely chopped
3 medium carrots , finely chopped
1 green/red chilli finely chopped (optional)
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder (increase if not using fresh chilli)
1 teaspoon oregano flakes
1 teaspoon cumin powder
salt to taste
1 teaspoon freshly grounded pepper
200 gms mozzarella cheese grated
1 cup pizza sauce
100 gms tiny mozzarella cubes (optional)
- for the filling, in a pan heat 2 teaspoons oil.
- add chillies and onion.
- saute for a few minutes and add carrots.
- cook for a minute and add zucchini and salt.
- using salt helps to release water from zucchini and cook the vegetables.
- cook the mixture until the water in the vegetables dry out.
- add chilli powder , oregano flakes and cumin powder.
- mix well and adjust salt.
- remove onto a bowl , all to cool .
- in a baking dish , brush a little oil.
- coat the bottom of the dish with tomato sauce.
- place 3 lasagne sheets and some tomato sauces.
- spread 2 tablespoons of the vegetable filling.
- sprinkle generously mozzarella cheese.place lasagne sheets and repeat the process until you finish all the ingredients.
- top it with additional cheese and cheese cubes.
- sprinkle crushed pepper.
- bake at 200 c for about 20 -25 mins , until the cheese on top becomes slight golden.
- cut into slices and enjoy right away.
- this dish takes best , right out of the oven .