Learn how to make a perfect dosa batter, something that is made in every South Indian kitchen.
serves 4-5 people
2.5 cups sona masuri rice
1/2 cup urad dal
2 tablespoons channa dal
1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds / methi
1/4 th cup beaten rice / poha
1 teaspoon sugar
salt to taste
oil and ghee to cook
water to make batter
- in a big bowl , add rice ,urad dal , channa dal and water.
- wash it 2-3 times.
- add fresh water and soak for at least 5-6 hrs.
- drain the water.
- soak 1/4 th cup of poha in water for 15 mins.
- add the soaked rice to a mixer , add the poha by squeezing out the water completely.
- add 1 cup water and grind to a smooth paste.
- inbetween scrape the sides and ass 1/2 cup more water if required.
- pour batter in a container and ferment overnight in at least 22 c .
- next day , when the batter is fermented, add salt and sugar.
- mix lightly.
- heat a griddle on high until hot.
- lower the flame to low and sprinkle water.
- the griddle should be hot and at the same time cook on the top to spread the batter evenly.
- add a teaspoon of oil and spread using a kitchen towel.
- pour a laddle full of batter and in circular motions make a thin pan cake.
- pour oil on the sides and cook until crisp on medium.
- soread a teaspoon of ghee for additional taste.
- fold the dosa into half and serve immediately with coconut chutney.
- for every dosa , repeat by steps starting with cooling the griddle by sprinkling water.