Crispy and tasty masala dosa , a perfect South Indian breakfast treat !
makes 10-12 dosas
6 medium potatoes boiled , peeled and mashed
2 chillies, finely chopped
1 big onion , finely chopped
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon channa dal
1 teaspoon urad dal
1/2 teaspoon hing / asafoetida
salt to taste
1/2 lemon juice
coriander leaves for garnishing
oil for tempering and roasting
ghee to roast the dosa
click below to see how to make the perfect dosa batter
- In a pan , heat oil and add mustard seeds , channa dal and Urad dal.
- After it splutters , add onions and fry until translucent.
- Add Turmeric and finely chopped chillies.
- Saute for a minute and add boiled and mashed potatoes.
- Add salt and lemon juice.
- Mix it all well and garnish with coriander leaves.
- to make the dosa , scoop out the required portion of dosa batter .
- heat a griddle on high until hot.
- lower the flame to low and sprinkle water.
- the griddle should be hot and at the same time cook on the top to spread the batter evenly.
- add a teaspoon of oil and spread using a kitchen towel.
- pour a laddle full of batter and in circular motions make a thin pan cake.
- pour oil on the sides and cook until crisp on medium.
- add a teaspoon of ghee for additional taste.
- place 2 tablespoons of potato filling and fold the dosa from both ends.
- serve hot with coconut chutney.