Middle eastern sweet delicacy soaked in sugar syrup and flavoured with rose essence, an eggless version !
makes about 20 pieces
1 cup fine semolina/ suji
1 cup coarse semolina
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 th cup desiccated coconut
1 cup melted butter
1/3 rd cup milk
1 cup greek yoghurt / hung yoghurt
for sugar syrup
1.5 cups sugar
1 3/4 th cup water
1 inch cinnamon stick
few drops of rose essence
- in a large bowl , add sugar and yoghurt.
- mix well until the sugar dissolves.
- add semolina , coconut , baking powder, milk and melted butter.
- mix well until it forms a homogeneous mixture.
- transfer the contents to a baking dish , lined with parchment paper.
- spread the mixture evenly and bake at 180c for about 45 minutes.
- meanwhile make the sugar syrup by adding sugar , water and cinnamon.
- boil until little thick , takes about 10 mins.
- switch off the flame and remove the cinnamon stick.
- add rose essence and give it a mix.
- cool the syrup .
- when the cake is done , remove from the oven and sprinkle few almonds.
- when the cake is still hot , pour the sugar syrup soaking the cake.
- allow the cake to absorb all the syrup , best served the next day.
- the cake can be stored in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
- just before serving, we the cake in a microwave. It just adds to the taste.