An interesting way to start this day with . Try this traditional recipe and love what you eat !!
I know we all live in a fast moving life where there is less time to spend in the kitchen. The best bet bring the cereals but if you plan your time such recipes are perfectly doable and kicks off your health too. This particular recipes is made usually in Malnad region of Karnataka but there are variations of it in other regions of Karnataka as well. The recipe requires soaking of rice, Lentils and spices for about 3-4 hours. Then it is ground to a fine smooth batter but not fermented. Since the batter is not fermented the dosa might turn a little rough. So I use little bit of soda to help the batter loosen up and soften. This is optional but well worth a try. The batter can be pre made the pervious night and can be used the next day .
The speciality of this recipe is using the ridge gourd to make a flower collage dosa !! Sounds interesting to the kids as well. The perfect combination is to make coconut chutney and the video for it is below. Make this recipe and serve it hot and let me know your comments.
makes 10-12 dosas
2 cups of raw rice
2 tablespoons channa dal
2 tablespoons urad dal
2 tablespoons Coriander seeds
1 teaspoon jeera/cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek/methi seeds
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon soda
10-12 red dry chillies (add more if you like spicy)
water to grind
salt to taste
1 big ridge gourd
accompany the dosa with a coconut chutney , know here how ?
- in a big bowl , add rice, channa Dal , urad dal, coriander seeds, jeera seeds, dry red chillies, methi seeds .
- wash with water and soak for 3-4 hours .
- grind it with the help of water into a smooth batter.
- the batter should be fairly thin. If the batter is thick , then the dosa will be like pancake. The batter has to just coat the ridge gourd.
- transfer to a bowl and at this stage can be refrigerated for later use.
- to the batter add turmeric powder , salt and soda.
- mix well and the batter is ready for use.
- to prepare the ridge gourd, trim the ends of the ridge gourd.
- using a peeler, remove the sharp skin on the ridge gourd.
- cut the ridge gourd into circles .
- It should be medium thin.
- now heat a tava, should be hot .
- add a little oil and spread it using a kitchen towel.
- on a medium flame , dip each ridge Gourd into the batter and arrange in shape of a flower.
- drizzle oil and cover to cook.
- flip the dosa and cook until crisp by pressing down on the dosa using the ladle.
- serve immediately with coconut chutney!!