Perfect cookies with added benefits of jaggery and whole wheat flour.
These cookies are one of the best finds I can say !! It is a perfect balance of sweetness , the rose essence and cardamom gives it a very Indian taste to it. A very nostalgic feeling if you have had a chance to eat similar cookies at any iyengar bakery in Bangalore. The best part about them is it is made partially with whole wheat flour and jaggery. Next when i would try this with whole wheat and jaggery without maida , i would update the blog with the results. This should work too. These cookies can be made with only APF/maida and sugar. The result would be a whiter cookie with all the colours of tutti frutti popping out. So there is a lot of choice here just need to try what works best for us.
After baking them , which is just 13-15 mins , the result would be a little soft cookie at the centre. But that would firm up after it is completely cooled down. The cookies are fine when there is browning under the cookie and you can flip over them for even colouring or can leave it as is . If you want to turn them over , then check at half time about 5mins but be careful that the cookies are very brittle and can break off easily.
One more important thing is never to use icing sugar in this recipe ( I have made this mistake) . Icing sugar tends to make the cookie dough very soft and not much texture. Always grind sugar in a mixie jar not very fine . This ensures that the cookie is firm , crisp and lots of texture. Always refrigerate the dough for at least 1-2 hrs so that the butter can harden up and easy to slice too. Adding cornflour will give it crispness but totally optional.
makes 25 medium ones
1/2 cup butter (room temperature )
1/4 th cup powdered sugar
1/4 the cup powdered organic jaggery
1/2 cup all purpose flour/maida
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons cornflour
1 teaspoon rose essence
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
1/2 cup tutti frutti
2 tablespoon milk (if required)
- in a big bowl , add butter and cream until soft and creamy.
- add sugar and jaggery and beat until combined and creamy.
- this takes about 5-6 mins using hand mixer.
- add rose essence , cardamom powder and vanilla essence and mix for another minute.
- now scrape the sides using a spatula .
- in the same bowl sift all purpose flour , whole wheat flour and cornflour.
- mix well using a dough attachment or by hand.
- if the dough is too dry add 2 tablespoons of milk little by little to form a dough.
- add the tutti frutti and mix well using hands.
- divide the dough into 2 parts and roll each one into a shape of a log.
- place in a cling wrap and roll it .
- Secure the ends and refrigerate for 1-2 hours until the dough hardens up.
- pre heat the oven to 180 c .
- meanwhile on a baking pan , place a baking sheet.
- remove the dough from the cling wrap and cut into 1/2 inch slices using a sharp knife.
- place all the cut cookies onto the baking sheet and bake them for about 15 minutes.
- remove them from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- store in an airtight container as long as it lasts and enjoy one right away.
Note – using jaggery and whole wheat flour is optional. Use maida and sugar for a whiter cookie.
never use icing sugar but always powder your sugar in a blender. It adds much more volume to the cookie.
the oven timings differ from one another. Always keep an eye on the oven.
after the cookies are baked they will be soft from the centre. It will firm up once cooked completely.