Crispy ladyfingers/bhindi , it’s grilled as good as fried. So ditch the calories and still enjoy the scrumptiously delicious bhendi !!
We all love those crispy fried ladyfingers but yes it comes with a lot of calories. Instead of supressing your taste buds try this super spicy and crispy fries but wait it’s not fried. The fries come out really crispy and a great accompaniment with rice, chapati or just as a snack.The fries need to be grilled and initially it releases water but wait till it get crispy. The time taken to grill , depends of the quantity .Here I have used about 750 gms of ladyfingers and it took about 40 mins. When it gets crispy remove it and it stays crisp .If it stays in the grill for longer then it might burn and then it leaves a bitter taste.Turn over the fries every 15-20 mins.
My best combo with this would be a bowl of steaming rice and piping hot dal, it’s so inviting!! In the recipe ,I am using subji masala for a different flavour. If that is not available feel free to substitute with garam masala or tawa masala. They taste equally good and spicy as well. The chilli powder can be adjusted according to your preference but it definitely adds a extra kick.
750 gms Ladyfingers/Bhindi
2 tablespoons Olive oil
1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
1 teaspoon Subji Masala/Garam Masala
2 tablespoons Besan/Chickpea Flour
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- Pre heat your oven on grill mode at 200c.
- Wash and dry The ladyfingers well.
- Slit the ladyfingers into half after removing the crown.
- If it’s long , cut into halt and slit it.
- In a big bowl, add all the slit ladyfingers and drizzle the olive oil and salt.
- Mix well so that the oil gets evenly coated.
- Add red chilli powder, sabji masala,chickpea flour and lemon juice.
- Mix it all together ensuring even coating of the spices.
- On a baking tray , drizzle some more oil .
- Spread the coated ladyfingers evenly so that there are no overlaps.
- Grill them for about 40 mins or until crisp.
- Turn them over after every 15- mins to ensure even browning.
- Keep an eye on the oven and remove it as soon as they are crisp.
- Serve it with rice or chapati !!