The one pot comfort meal for that everyday cooking !!
Khichdi is one of the most nutritious one pot meal you can have . It has protein, carbs and depending on the veggies used it makes it a wholesome meal. As kids we had Khichdi when we were recovering from a fever or made more richer during festivals.Every region makes a different version of Khichdi and I call it the most versatile dish. It can never go wrong and tastes good even the nextbday if you have leftovers.
With Khichdi the best combination is ghee and yoghurt. In this recipe I have used spinach and basically you can swap add or delete anything that you like or not like. The best part about Khichdis are that it’s a one pot meal, cook everything in one pot and it’s done .. no messy endless dishes to clean afterwards!!
3/4 th cup sona masuri rice
1/4 th cup toor dal
1/4 th cup moong dal
1/4 th cup masur dal
3 cups chopped spinach
1 cup French beans , cut into 1 inch pieces
1 cup carrots , cut into 1 inch pieces
1 onion , finely chopped
2 tomatoes, finely chopped
1/4 th cup oil/ghee
2 teaspoons Jeera/cumin seeds
2 teaspoons mustard seeds
1 tablespoon ginger – garlic paste
1 green chilli , slit
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 teaspoon garam masala powder
1 teaspoon jeera powder
1 teaspoon hing
1 tablespoon chopped mint leaves
salt to taste
2 tablespoons ghee
3-4 cups water
- In a bowl add rice , toor dal , masoor dal and moong dal.
- Wash it a couple of times and drain the water. Keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker , add oil and when it’s hot add cumin seeds and mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle add the slit green chilli and ginger – garlic paste.
- Fry for a minute and add onion.
- Fry the onion till translucent and add tomatoes.
- Cook the tomatoes till mushy and oozes out oil.
- Add the chopped palak and fry till they wilt .
- Now it’s time to add carrots and beans and fry them for another minute.
- Next add chilli powder , garam masala and jeera powder.
- Fry for a minute and add hing , rice , lentils , mint leaves and salt .
- Mix everything well and add water.
- Pressure cook for about 2-3 whistles.
- Adjust water to make it a little mushy and watery.
- Transfer onto a plate and add a teaspoon of ghee on hot Khichdi.
- Serve immediately with yoghurt !!