Mushrooms marinated with Indian spices and chickpea flour and grilled until crisp. Try it to love it !!
There are 2 ways to mushrooms, you like it or you don’t like it !! So if you are the former then this definitely is an add to your recipes collection. We love mushrooms in our family and during summers it really affordable too. Mushrooms are highly nutritious because of of vitamin B1 , B2 , B12 ,C,D and E. It is also very low in calories and fat making it a best choice for people who want to loose weight.
It is said that the healthiest way to cook mushrooms is not to fry, deep fry or boil. This apparently looses the good nutrients. The best way is to grill or microwave them. So next time you pick a box of mushrooms, consider grilling it !!
The idea behind this recipe was that we don’t use too much of oil but still enjoy spicy food and taste like fried too. This all in one recipe provides you all that and at the end making you not feel guilty . When grilling mushrooms it leaves water , since they contain a lot of water and hence low in calories. But you will get to a point where it dries out the water making a crisp outer cover. Mushrooms always shrink in size so you will not end up it large batches unless lots of mushrooms are used. This recipe is also gluten free and so can be enjoyed by all, just make sure you read the spices contents that it it gluten Free.
500 gms Mushrooms
3 teaspoons Tandoori Masala
1 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
2 teaspoons Chaat Masala
2 teaspoons Jeera Powder
salt to taste
2 tablespoons Yoghurt
water to make a paste
Oil for drizzling
- Wash and dry mushrooms on a newspaper overnight or wipe each mushroom clean with kitchen towel.
- In a big bowl , add tandoori masala,chilli powder , chaat masala,jeera powder , salt, chickpea flour and yoghurt.
- Using little water at a time make a thick batter.
- The consistency of the batter should be thick enough to coat the mushrooms.
- Add all the mushrooms to the bowl and run the masala paste coating each mushroom well.
- Set aside the marinated mushrooms for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile pre heat your grill to 220 c .
- On a baking tray , place a baking sheet for easy clean up and smear the sheet with some oil. I have used olive oil here , use what you like.
- Place the mushrooms on the baking sheet a little apart from each.
- Let the mushrooms grill until crisp on one side and then turn them over to grill the other side.
- Mushrooms tend to ooze out water but give it time and it will become crisp.
- Alternatively pierce the marinated mushrooms on a skewer and grill it.
- Once done , serve it while hot with some green chutney and onion rings.