Summer time is mango time !! Enjoy this easy and yummy summer sweet to beat the heat ..
It’s summer and beating the heat can be frustrating. But it’s the mangoes that you look forward to and of course the summer holidays & fun !! Mango is rightly said to be the king of fruits , it’s so versatile that you can easily think of 20-30 dishes you can make with them .The best of mangoes are the Alphonso which are native to India and introduced by the Portuguese. But what to do when we don’t get it all season , then canned fruit pulp comes to the rescue.
This easy mango Burfi can be made with fresh mango puree but be sure to adjust the sweetness accordingly. It’s a simple recipe and I have made it 3-4 times to create a good recipe. The basic is in cooking the mixture well to remove the moisture. This will ensure you are able to cut the Burfi to pieces and not end up with a fudge like consistency. It if that happens and you are not able to cut it into pieces , feel free to add the mixture back to the pan and cook until it can be set. When you touch the mixture it should not stick to your hands. The Burfi tastes the best next day as it enhances the taste of mango which gets deeply infused into the Burfi…
makes 12-15 pieces
1.5 cups Sugar
6 tablespoons Chickpea Flour/Besan
2 cups Dry Desiccated Coconut , ground
3/4th cup Mango Pulp
5-6 Pods of Cardamom,crushed
2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon Ghee
2 tablespoons Chopped Nuts
- in in a non stick pan , add sugar ,besan, mango pulp and desiccated coconut powder.
- Use a mixer to grind the coconut to a corse powder.
- Switch on the flame to medium and start cooking the mixture.
- It takes about 30 mins to cook depending upon the moisture content.
- The mixture leaves the sides of the pan and comes together .
- When half way , add cardamom powder and nuts and keep cooking.
- After about 5 mins add 2 tablespoons of ghee and mix well.
- You know that the mixture is done , when it starts to form a ball and secondly when you touch the mixture with your hands , it should be dry and not sticky.
- Kept cooking till you reach the consistency and transfer to a greased plate.
- Use the back of a spoon and a teaspoon of ghee to pat the mixture gently onto the tray.
- Mark the squares after 10 mins and allow it to cool completely before re marking the shapes and taking it out.
- Store the left over in an airtight container and relish as required.
- It stays good for 10-12 days !!
Note – if the mixture is sticky after cooling then , retransfer to a non stick pan and cook again.