I got to admit , was bored of baking chocolate cakes !! This time around it was chocolate cake all the way with many birthdays to celebrate. I always love different flavoured cakes and the best are orange and strawberry. They are full of summer flavours and so decadent that one slice cannot stop the indulgence. For a kiddos birthday it’s always a chocolate cake and they don’t seem to like anyother flavour ☹️ . This cake certainly going to refresh your taste buds !!
About this cake , I absolutely love the way it turns out every time. It’s very soft and dense,perfect for a build up cake. This recipe is eggless and uses yoghurt and evaporated milk/condensed milk. I have used evaporated milk which is milk that has been condensed but not as thick as the regular condensed milk and without sugar. So if you plan to use condensed then adjust the sugar by using less than the recommended sugar below.
I have used a coat of fresh cream to frost the cake , but it is delicious in its raw state !! The cake tasted super yummy the next day when all the flavours blended and I think brought out its best . There is not much aeration in the cake since we are not adding soda and hence the cake it much dense. The dry flours need to be sifted 2 times to incorporate a bit more air and it helps the cake to be bake lighter as well.
when strawberries are in season , you can add a cup of fresh strawberry puree. The strawberry puree will not add much colour to the cake and it’s quite pale. Hence , I have used a few drops of colouring. So if you do not fancy a bright coloured cake feel free to skip the colours.
makes one 8 inch cake
1 cup All Purpose Flour
2 tablespoons Cornflour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
40 ml Strawberry Syrup
1/2 cup Condensed Milk
1/2 cup Oil
1/3 rd cup Yoghurt
Vanilla Bean Paste/ Essence
4-5 drops Red Food Colour (optional)
3/4 th cup Sugar
- In a big bowl , add flour and remove 2 tablespoons of flour and replace with cornflour.
- Add baking powder and salt.
- Sift the flour 2 times to aerate the cake,
- In another bowl mix all the wet ingredients.
- Add oil , condensed milk , sugar, strawberry concentrate, vanilla extra and colour.
- Mix the wet ingredients till well combined.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry flour and mix in big sweeping motions.
- Pre heat your oven to 170 c .
- In a baking tray , line with parchment paper for easier clean up.
- Pour the cake batter evenly into the pan.
- Bake until a toothpick comes clean,
- My cake took about 45 minutes to bake. This may differ based on your oven.