Yet another way to enjoy breakfast with some vegetables for the perfect morning kick and wait it’s gluten free too …
I was not aware of gluten allergy until a few years ago and this must be the case with most of the Indian families. In India its very uncommon to have this allergy but use of gluten free flours is not. We have been using chickpea, rice , bajra,corn, sorghum flours for ages now and now that the west is obsessed with gluten free flours , these have come to the limelight.
About this recipe, it’s a very simple but wholesome food and ideal for breakfast. It can be put together in minutes and gives the extra dose of vegetables for those fussy kids. I have used zucchini and carrots here but you can add finely chopped Capsicum too. Zucchini has a lot of water content and hence go not use too much water to make the batter. The batter will thin down a little more after adding salt and zucchini.I have used rice flour to make them extra crispy but you can omit it.Works well without rice flour too. The pancakes can be made as big or as small as you like but it will not be too thin since there are a lot of veggies.
want to make the chutney ? Hear check out the recipe !
makes 6-8 medium pancakes
1 cup Besan/Chickpea flour (250 gms )
1 teaspoon Turmeric
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 tablespoon Rice Flour ( optional )
Salt to taste
2 Green Chillies finely chopped
2 tablespoons Coriander chopped
1 cup Carrots grated
1 medium Zucchini grated
Water to make batter
- In a big bowl , add flour , Turmeric, baking powder , rice flour, salt and combine well.
- Add little water to make a thick paste.
- Add chopped chillies , coriander , carrots and zucchini to the batter.
- Mix until combined.
- Add lemon juice.
- Heat a non stick griddle .
- When the griddle is hot , smear a little oil and wipe it off with a kitchen towel.
- Lower the flame to medium and add a ladle of batter and spread it into a pancake shape.
- Drizzle a little oil to the edges of the pancake and allow it to cook.
- When it’s done , flip over and cook until crisp.
- Serve immediately with coriander Chutney!!
Note – Zucchini tends to ooze out water , be careful while mixing the batter.