After a fabulous Festival and all the endless food and fun, back to detox with a lovely salad!!
This raw papaya salad is a Thai inspired food.Papaya can be considered a staple food in many Asian cuisines even though it originated from Central America. It boasts of numerous health benefits when it’s consumed raw. Even Ayurveda, the ancient Indian medicine system recommends the consumption of papaya for varied health benefits and to relieve many health issues.While choosing a papaya for the purpose of salad , choose one which has green skin and firm . Pale yellow is a sign that the papaya has begun to ripe and would not suit this purpose. Raw green is best.
The salad as such is very easy to make. I suggest that all the ingredients are kept ready and mixed during serving time for maximum crunchiness. But the salad can also be prepared ahead of time and chilled. This will yield a softer textured salad and also the flavours would have been absorbed well. Try both ways and see what you prefer!!
serves 3-4 people
- 1 medium raw papaya
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped coriander
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons of fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons of roasted peanuts
- 1 teaspoon organic soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- salt to taste
- Peel the skin of the papaya and remove the seeds.
- Seeds are also tasty and edible. Use it if you like or discard it.
- Grate the papaya using a grater.Do not use a fine grater as it will ooze out the water and will be difficult to grate the papaya.
- In a big salad bowl, add the soy sauce, brown sugar, salt, lime juice, coriander and green chilli and mix well.
- Add the grated papaya and roasted peanuts and give a gentle mix.
- I have used pepper flavoured peanuts for the extra kick. Feel free to use what you like.
- If you plan to chill the salad then don’t add the peanuts right away.Add it just before serving to retain its crunchiness.
- Or serve immediately and devour !!