Yet another year passed by and its the time when the sun into the zodiac sign of Capricorn (Makara). Its celebrated as the spring festival of India and all the fresh produce of crops are used to celebrate this festival. For South Indians, this pongal/huggi is the most important delicacy of the the day. Every house would have the sweet and the savoury version of the dish. And its a tradition in Karnataka , where we go to all our relatives and friends house distributing “yellu” ( a mix of Jaggery, dry coconut, sesame seeds and peanuts).And every house will offer you this dish to eat 🙂
I have used jeera rice for this recipe.Its a short grained rice which is more flavourful than the ordinary rice.Hence, it would perfectly fit into sweet dishes.
Serves 7-8 people
- 1 cup Jeera Rice
- 1 cup Moong Dal
- 5 cups of Water
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1/2 cup Ghee
- 6-7 Cloves
- Big pinch of Saffron, soaked in 2 tablespoons of milk
- 1 small pinch of Orange food colour
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1/2 cup Grated Dry Coconut
- Raisins & Cashew nuts (as much as you like)
- Wash mung dal and remove its water using a strainer.
- In a pan , add a tablespoon Ghee and fry the moong dal till its golden brown.
- Add washed rice to this and fry for another 2 mins.
- Add water to this and cook the rice (1 whistle in pressure cooker)
- In a thick bottom pan, add a tablespoon of ghee.
- When its hot add raisins,cashew nuts and cloves. Fry until done.
- Keep it separately in a bowl.
- To the same pan , add sugar and 1 cup of water.
- After the sugar dissolves and comes to a boil add orange colour,rice mix and dry coconut.
- In a low flame , add 2 tablespoons of Ghee and let the rice mixture cook in the sugar syrup for 10 mins.
- Add more ghee and cook for another 5 mins.
- Add rest of the ghee , dry fruits , saffron dissolved in milk & cardamom powder.
- Mix well and keep it covered for 5-10 mins so that all the flavours are integrated into each other.
- Serve hot.
Note:- Add whole peppercorns about 6-7 , while cooking rice. It gives an extra punch to it.
As the mixture cool down , it becomes thick. So do not worry its a little runny.