Winter !! Winter !! Winter !! White winter and hot soup is such a great combination.
Winter is such a beautiful season.Winter always reminds me of this beautiful song from the movie ‘Sound of Music’ …where the song goes like …Rain drops on roses and whiskers on kittens , Bright copper kettles and warm woollen mittens, Silver white winters ……….. I absolutely love everything about winter – those starry flaky snow, the feeling of walking on fresh snow , those barren trees waiting for spring to colour them up, cuddling up in a warm place and something hot to drink. Yes …the best bet would be hot chocolate or hot soup…..Mmmmmm……
Today the soup recipe that I am sharing is that which my mom makes and its been this way so long that I cannot even remember 🙂 !! So I can call this my comfort food. I generally prefer this for a dinner with some bread and salad but eat it I mean drink it the way you like it 🙂
- 4 Big sized Tomatoes
- 1 Onion
- 2 Carrots
- 1 inch of Ginger
- 5-6 pods of Pepper , freshly ground
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch/Cornflour
- 2 tablespoons Water +
- 4 cups of Water
- Salt to taste
- 2 Cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon
In a small muslin cloth, place the cloves and cinnamon and tie the loose ends to make a small bag.
- Roughly chop onions, tomatoes, carrots and ginger.
- In a pressure cooker, add the vegetables, water and the flavor bag.
- After about 2 whistles , remove from heat and allow it to cool.
- Transfer the vegetables into a mixie jar .
- Discard the flavor bag.
- Puree it well so that there no lumps. You can strain the puree to get a smooth liquid.
- Now transfer it back onto a pot and add salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Allow it to boil for a few minutes.
- In a small bowl take cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water and mix well.
- Add this into the soup which will make it thicker.
- Boil for a couple of more minutes and check on the seasonings.
- Serve hot with more ground pepper and warm toasted bread.