Cinnamon Crumb Cake with crunchy topping and moist cake inside. A wonderful cake for a evening tea!!
Cinnamon never ceases to surprise me !! The flavours of this wonderful spice is so deep and intense, that while the cake is still in the oven you want to bite into it 🙂 This cake has a soft texture on the inside and the crumb topping on the top gives it a crunchy texture.
Cinnamon is one of the oldest spices known. It was mentioned in the Bible and was used in ancient Egypt not only as a beverage flavouring and medicine, but also as an embalming agent. It was so highly treasured that it was considered more precious than gold. Around this time, cinnamon also received much attention in China, which is reflected in its mention in one of the earliest books on Chinese botanical medicine, dated around 2,700 B.C.
Cinnamon’s popularity continued throughout history. It became one of the most relied upon spices in Medieval Europe. Due to its demand, cinnamon became one of the first commodities traded regularly between the Near East and Europe.
1 1/4th cup All Purpose Flour
1/4th teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 cup Brown/White Sugar , powdered
1/2 cup Soy Milk
1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
1 teaspoon White or Apple Cider Vinegar
1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
For the Crumb Topping
1/2 cup Flour
1/2 cup Butter, softened not melted
1/2 cup Brown/White Sugar, powdered
2 teaspoons Cinnamon
1/4th teaspoon Salt
White Chocolate, melted
- Pre-heat oven to 200c
- Using the ingredients for the cake, sift flour, salt, soda, baking powder and sugar.
- Mix the dry ingredients well.
- Add soy milk, oil, vinegar and vanilla extract.
- Whisk all the ingredients to form a batter. Do not overmix.
- Pour the cake batter into a oiled baking tin.
- To make the crumb topping, in a medium bowl add flour , butter , sugar, salt and cinnamon.
- Using your hand combine all the ingredients to resemble bread crumbs.
- Spread the streusel topping on the cake batter evenly.
- Bake the cake for 20 mins uncovered, then cover with a foil and bake for 20 more mins.
- Covering the cake will prevent the streusel from getting burnt.
- A toothpick inserted into the center of the cake should come out clean.
- Let the cake cool.
- Decorate it with melted white chocolate and cut into slices.