Besan & Coconut Ladoo Truffle is a Indian and Western fusion.This was an experiment to try something different and truly it was awesome.
Of late my family is craving for desserts…everyday !! I was sure that I wanted to eat something Indian…(of course sweet..). Besan Ladoo is one of my favorites. My Mother and Mother in Law, both make awesome besan ladoos. And as usual , I started to roast my besan and then I had this open packet of desiccated coconut. I just added a handful of it and made the ladoos the normal way. They turned out great giving away the delicate taste of coconut . Then I remembered my husband saying , “Oh no !! I wanted to eat a western dessert! “. Then this idea struck me, what if I coated the ladoos with chocolate and top it with toasted coconut flakes. At an instance , I started working on it.After I had accomplished my task , the fusion newbie looked absolutely beautiful. I just could not resist my temptation to pop one even before I had completed the photo shoot. I must say, the ladoo and the chocolate complemented each other. And of course, my husband loved it. My day was done !!
Makes about 14 Ladoos
For the Ladoos
1 cup Gram Flour/Besan
1/4th cup desiccated coconut
1/2 cup Ghee
3/4th cup Powdered Sugar
1 pod of Cardamom powdered
For the Chocolate Coating
100 gms of Chocolate
Handful of toasted desiccated Coconut
- Heat ghee in a non-stick pan and roast the gram flour till it gives a nice aroma.
- When the gramflour is almost done, add the desiccated coconut and roast it for a couple of minutes.
- The desiccated coconut tends to burn quickly. So add it when you are almost ready with the gram flour roasting.
- Add the cardamom and remove it from fire.
- Now add the powdered sugar.
- Give it a good mix and check if the sweetness is ok. At this point you can add more sugar if you like.
- Allow it a few minutes and then make tiny balls out of the besan mixture.
- If the mixture is not coming together, then smear your palms with little ghee.
- Place all the ladoos on a plate and allow it to cool. Meanwhile you can start the process of melting chocolate.
- Cut the chocolate into small pieces, so that the process of melting can be faster.
- Transfer the chopped chocolate into a microwave safe dish. I have used a soup mug. Heat the chocolate for a minute until it melts.
- Remove the chocolate pot from the microwave and give it a good stir using a spoon.
- Now on a plate, place a butter paper . Drop each ladoo,one at a time into the chocolate pot. Coat it well.
- Remove carefully using 2 small spoons to drain off the excess chocolate.
- Transfer it immediately onto the butter paper. Sprinkle the toasted coconut.
- Repeat the same process for the other ladoos.
- Put the plate in the refrigerator to set.