Dhokla a vegetarian dish from the state of Gujrat. It can be eaten as a evening snack or a morning breakfast. Since the Dhoklas are steamed, its light and satisfying. A sure shot to starting your day the healthy way !
Serves 3 -4
1 cup Besan/Gram Flour
1 1/2 tbsp Rava/Semolina Coarse
3/4 th cup Water
Ginger-Chilli paste (optional)
1 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Lemon Juice
1 1/2 tsp Eno Fruit Salt /1 teaspoon Soda
(Eno gives the dholkas a light and fluffy texture)
Oil for greasing
1 teaspoon organic turmeric (optional)
adding turmeric will change the colour slightly
1 Green Chilli split
1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
1/4 tsp Sesame Seeds
Coriander leaves for garnishing
2 tbsp Fresh Grated Coconut
2 tbsp Water
- Combine all the ingredients for the Dhokla except for the fruit salt and make a paste using water.
- Grease a steamer plate using oil.
- Add the fruit salt and give it a good light mix.
- Immediately transfer the batter into the greased plate.
- Steam it for about 15 mins, till the batter is cooked properly.
- Remove the plate from the steamer and now heat some oil for seasoning.
- Add mustard and sesame seeds , when they crackle add the green chilli.
- Remove from fire and add 2 tbsp of water. Pour it over the dhokla. Adding water makes the dhoklas moist.
- When its cool , cut it into squares and garnish it with coriander and coconut.
- Serve it with Pudina Chutney (recipe follows).
1 cup Pudina leaves
1/2 cup Coriander leaves roughly chopped
3 tbsp Peanuts
1 tbsp Ginger
2 Green Chillies
1 tsp Sugar
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
Salt to taste
Blend all the ingredients except for the lemon juice,in a food processor. Adjust salt and add lemon juice.
Adding lemon juice will prevent the discoloration of the chutney.
Transfer it in a bowl and serve it with dhokla.