Vegetable Chops are totally a party pleasing starter. Using beets is a good option , if you want a red hue laced chop.
makes about 10 medium ones
1 tablespoon oil
3/4 th teaspoon hing/asafoetida
2 green chillies + 1 inch ginger (minced)
1 cup french beans , finely chopped
3 medium carrots , finely chopped
2 teaspoons coriander powder
2 teaspoons cumin/jeera powder
1 teaspoon garam masala
1-2 teaspoons red chilli powder (depending on how spicy you like)
8 medium potatoes, boiled and mashed
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt to taste
4 tablespoons cornstarch/cornflour
1 teaspoon salt
Water to make a thin paste
8 bread slices (make bread crumbs)
Oil for deep frying
- to make the filling , in a pan add a tablespoon of oil.
- when it’s hot , add ginger and green chilli minced.
- fry until the colour changes.
- add beans and sauté for a minute.
- add carrots and a teaspoon of salt and fry for a minute.
- the salt helps to ooze water from the vegetables and cooks evenly without needing extra oil.
- after the veggies are cooked for 3-4 minutes, add red chilli powder, cumin , coriander and Garam Masala powder.
- mix it all together and set aside to cool completely.
- meanwhile, peel and mash the potatoes.
- add the cooked vegetable mix , lemon juice and extra salt if necessary.
- mix it all well .
- for the slurry, in a bowl add cornflour , salt and water to make a thin paste.
- for the breadcrumbs, tear 8-10 slices of bread and add it to a blender.
- pulse it to make breadcrumbs.
- transfer onto a plate.
- meanwhile, make the chops by pulling a portion of the potato mixture.
- roll into a ball and shape it like a log .
- dunk the log in the cornflour paste and remove.Hold for a second so that the extra slurry can drain off.
- roll the log on the breadcrumbs, ensuring that it is well coated.
- drop it again in the cornflour slurry and coat it well.
- drain the excess and roll it in the breadcrumbs really well.
- doing this step 2 times , ensures that the chop is very crispy.
- repeat the same for all the chops.
- at this stage , if you do not wish to fry immediately , you can store them in an airtight container and freeze it.
- if you wish to fry immediately, refrigerate for 15 mins , until the oil heats up.
- keep the oil for heating on medium high.
- when the oil is really hot , then drop a few of them and fry until golden brown.
- the chops need to be fried only in medium hot oil.
- when it’s done remove on an absorbent paper and enjoy right away with some chutney or ketchup.