Hayagreeva or hayagriva , a traditional sweet made with split chickpeas , jaggery and coconut !
serves 5-6 people
1 cup Channa Dal (split chickpeas)
1/2 cup fresh coconut
3/4 th cup to 1 cup organic jaggery
1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
3-4 tablespoons ghee/clarified butter
2 tablespoons cashews and raisins
- In a pressure cooker , add the channa dal/split chickpeas.
- add water to cover the dal and cook for 2 whistles.
- the dal should not become too soft.
- Once cooked , allow to cool.
- in a blender, add half of the cooked Channa Dal , coconut and grind together into a coarse paste.
- use little water if necessary , while grinding.
- in a thick bottomed pan , add 2 tablespoons ghee.
- when the ghee is hot, add cashews and raisins.
- fry until the cashews are golden and the raisins swell up.
- remove the fried nuts.
- into the same pan , add the Channa Dal , the ground paste and jaggery.
- cook until the mixture thickens up and leaves the sides of the pan.
- this can take up to 15 mins depending upon the water content.
- keep stirring in medium heat.
- when you see the ghee leaving the sides of the pan , add cardamom powder and fried nuts.
- add another tablespoon of ghee and mix everything well.
- serve warm ! HAPPY DIWALI !