Just 2 ingredients and you can have homemade Nutella , better than the store bought one and sans the added sugar , hydrogenated oils and preservatives !
Makes about 225 gms
125 gms dark chocolate (atleast 75%)
200 gms hazelnuts
- on a baking tray, place the hazelnuts.
- spread it around and bake in a pre heated oven at 200c for about 10 mins.
- keep an eye on the hazelnuts, after 8 mins it can get burnt very easily.
- once the hazelnuts have cooled a bit , add it to a food processor.
- grind the hazelnuts at high until the hazelnuts releases it’s oil.
- this will take about 10-13 mins depending on your food processor.
- always use a food processor to grind the nuts, this needs a high powered motor.
- chop the chocolate into tiny pieces.
- using a double boiler method or in a microwave , melt the chocolate .
- once the hazelnuts start to release oil, the texture changes to a runny mixture.
- at this point add the melted chocolate and mix both together.
- transfer into a clean jar and homemade Nutella is ready to use.
- this recipe makes the Nutella mildly sweet. If you like more sweet , then add 2 tablespoons powdered sugar while mixing the chocolate and hazelnuts.
- at this point you can even add vanilla extract , cinnamon or orange extract.
- the nutella can be stored at room temperature and it stays runny , best to spread on toast ,crepes or baking.
- can be stored up to 15-20 days depending on the humidity.
- grinding the hazelnuts into really smooth paste , depends on your mixer. I could not achieve 100% smooth paste, but the slightly grainy texture felt more like eating Ferrero Rocher.
- if you like to see more recipes using Nutella, check the videos below.