Ambode or masala vada , a perfect festive or evening fried snack . Made with channa dal and spiced with chillies.
Makes about 25 small ones
2 cups channa dal
2 medium onions , finely chopped
3-4 green chillies , finely chopped
1/2 cup fresh coconut, grated
1 teaspoon hing/asafoetida
salt to taste
oil for frying
little water to grind
- soak channa dal overnight with lots of water.
- drain the water using a colander.
- in a mixer, add the channa dal and coconut ,grind into a coarse paste.
- there is no need to us water to grind, but it the dal is too dry then use 2-3 tablespoons of water. Not more.
- in a big bowl , add the ground channa dal , green chillies, hing , salt and onions.
- mix everything well and rest for 10 mins.
- the onions will ooze out water because of the salt.
- heat oil , when the oil is hot set it to medium .
- shape a small lemon sized mixture into a cutlet. Should not be too thick .
- drop it into hot oil.
- fry on medium heat until golden brown.
- repeat the same for rest of the mixture.
- serve hot.
Note – the vadas need to be fried in medium hot oil , else the inside will be raw.
You can add chopped dill leaves. Gives a very good taste.