Vermicelli Kheer , one of the most simple Indian sweet perfect for any occasion. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, drizzled with a teaspoon of rose syrup and nuts !
1 cup thin vermicelli
3 cups full fat milk
1 tin condensed milk (milkmaid)
3 tablespoons mixed nuts chopped, (almonds,cashews, dried grapes)
1 teaspoon cardamom powder
1 tablespoon ghee/clarified butter
Vanilla ice cream & rose syrup (optional for serving)
- In a big thick pot, add a tablespoon of ghee.
- when ghee melts add nuts and fry until golden.
- remove onto a plate.
- in the same pot , add vermicelli and roast on medium flame until fragrant.
- add 3 cups of hot milk and cook the vermicelli on medium flame.
- keep stirring once in a while to avoid burning.
- cook until the vermicelli is soft and the mixture has thickened.
- add condensed milk ( I have used a full tin , but adjust the sweetness as per your taste).
- mix well and cook for another 5 mins on low flame.
- add nuts and cardamom powder. Give a good mix.
- chill the kheer.
- at the time of serving , portion kheer into individual bowls , top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream , drizzle a teaspoon of rose syrup (roohafza) and top it with some nuts.
- More milk can be added after the kheer has cooled down and if it’s too thick.