500 gms small brinjals/eggplants
2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
For the masala paste
1 tablespoon channa dal
1.5 tablespoons urad dal
1 teaspoon jeera/cumin seeds
7-8 red dry chillies (adjust according to spice level)
1/2 cup fresh coconut
1 inch cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon rasam powder
1 tablespoon jaggery
1 tablespoon tamarind paste
Salt to taste
- In a pan, heat 1 teaspoon oil.
- add channa dal , urad dal , chillies , cumin seeds , cinnamon and cloves.
- fry the masala on a medium flame until the colour changes.
- cool the masala.
- grind together coconut, jaggery, rasam powder and the roasted masala, into a fine paste.
- add 1/2 cup water to help grinding the masala.
- add salt to taste and tamarind paste.
- mix well and keep aside.
- slit the brinjals lengthwise making 4 slits.
- stuff the paste into the brinjals .
- in a big pan , add 2 tablespoons oil.
- when it’s hot , add mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- place all the brinjals , turn it around so that the oil coats the brinjals from all sides.
- cover and cook on medium flame.
- in between turn the brinjals around , so that they are cooked from all sides.
- this step takes about 20 mins.
- the brinjals are done , when it’s soft to touch from all sides.
- to the leftover masala , thin it down by adding 1 cup water.
- pour it onto the brinjals.
- give it a good mix, cover and cook until the oil separates from the masala.
- serve it hot with chapati/rice/jowar roti.