1.5 cups channa dal * (soaked for overnight and drained)
1/2 cup grated fresh coconut
Pinch of asafoetida
salt to taste
1 big onion , finely chopped
1 cup dill leaves, finely chopped
Oil to grease
Ghee to serve
8-10 dried red chillies
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- In a Spice grinder, add chillies, cumin and coriander seeds and grind.
- Let the powder be a bit coarse.
- In a wet blender jar, add the drained channa dal, coconut, salt and hing.
- Add little water and make a course paste. The paste should not be very dry.
- Transfer the ground channa dal to a bowl.
- Add onions , dill leaves, dry spice powder.
- Mix it well , the mixture should hold shape when pressed between hands.
- Grease you hand and using a small portion of the mix , shape it in oval.
- Put it on a greased steamer ring.
- Shape more of them and place in the steamer.
- Steam it for 10 mins.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- It needs to be enjoyed hot with melted ghee.
- Ghee will help to digest the dal.
Note – Instead of only channa dal , use toor dal in equal proportions.