Popular curry from the South of India (karnataka) , majjige huli. White pumpkin cooked with spices,coconut and yoghurt.
1 medium white pumpkin
1 cup buttermilk or 1/2 cup sour yoghurt
few curry leaves
jeera / cumin seeds
pinch of asafoetida/hing
1 teaspoon ghee/clarified butter
salt to taste
For Masala Paste
2 tablespoons channa dal (soaked for 2-3 hrs and drained)
1/2 cup fresh coconut
1 teaspoon jeera/cumin seeds
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
4-5 green chillies
1 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves
- Wash the pumpkin, cut into half.
- Slice the pumpkin, and remove the outer green skin.
- Remove the centre pulp, this can be ground and used in dosa batter.
- Cut the pumpkin into big cubes.
- Add 2 cups water , and boil the pumpkin cubes until soft.
- Pumpkin does not take long time to cook , probably just 4-5 mins.
- Meanwhile, grind jeera,coriander seeds,coconut,green chillies,soaked channa dal and little water.
- Make a give paste. Add coriander leaves and give it one pulse. We don’t want the coriander to become a paste.
- Add the ground masala to the cooked pumpkin and bring to a boil on medium flame.
- Add a cup of water to thin down .
- Let it boils for a couple of mins.
- Add buttermilk and simmer for another minute.
- Heat another pan , add ghee.
- When ghee melts , add mustard, jeera , asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Pour the tempering over the curry and mix.
- Serve with hot rice !