Crispy jalebis made in a jiffy . Easy recipe which can be doubled. With Diwali just around the corner , try this yummy recipe and serve with some rabdi !
Makes 12-14 medium jalebis
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoon besan (optional but helps to make jalebis easier)
1/4 th teaspoon baking powder
Pinch orange food colour (optional)
2 tablespoons urad dal (soaked for 3-4 hours)
1/2 cup water
For sugar syrup
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
3-4 cardamom pods
few saffron strands pinch of colour optional
1/2 lemon juice
– add the urad dal paste and whisk until smooth .
– soak urad dal in water for 3-4 hours.
– drain the water and grind it to a smooth paste using water.
– In a Bowl , add flour, baking powder and colour. – dry mix using a spoon so that the ingredients are incorporated evenly.
– using water make the batter, pouring little water at a time.
– beat the batter for 2-3 mins to incorporate air.
– grind urad dal and make the batter use only 1/2 cup water.
– the batter should be thick yet dropping consistency.
– some flour brands absorb more water. If the batter is very thick add a tablespoon water and see .
– Transfer the batter to a piping bag or a ketchup bottle.
– make a small hole. To make sugar syrup
– Add sugar and water .
– heat on medium and let the sugar dissolve and start to bubble.
– add cardamom pods and saffron.
– the Sugar should dissolve completely and when you touch the sugar syrup between your fingers, it should be sticky.
– at this stage Switch off the heat and add juice of lemon.
– this step prevents the sugar crystallisation after cooling down.
– keep the sugar syrup warm as it’s crucial for the jalebis. If the sugar syrup cools down , the jalebis will not soak in the syrup.
To make jalebis
– heat oil on medium high.
– If the oil is not hot , the jalebis will not fluff up when dropped in oil.
– If the oil is too hot the jalebis will become brown.
– So the temperature control is important. It will take a couple of tries to get it right.
– When the oil is hot , using continuous pressure make jalebis .
– Fry until it’s crispy and colour changes slightly.
– Remove from the oil and directly transfer to warm syrup.
– All it to soak the syrup for 2-3 mins.
– And then the hot jalebis are ready for serving.
– This recipe can be double up easily.