Red carrots are available in plenty during winters. The red carrots give a very sweet taste to the halwa. Try this special halwa made with lots of ghee/clarified butter and enjoy the cozy winter.
1 kg red/purple carrots
1 cup brown sugar (add 1/4 th cup more if you like it sweeter)
1 teaspoon cardamom powder
10 tablespoons ghee/clarified butter
2 cardamom pods
1/2 cup milk powder
1 tablespoon cashew nuts
1 tablespoon raisins
- [ ] Grate carrots using a grater or food processor.
- [ ] In a big pot , add 2 tablespoons ghee.
- [ ] When the ghee is hot , add cashews and fry until golden brown.
- [ ] Remove it onto a plate.
- [ ] Add raisins and fry them until plump.
- [ ] Remove it onto a plate and keep aside.
- [ ] In the same pot, add 2 tablespoons ghee and add cardamom pods and cloves.
- [ ] Then add the carrots.
- [ ] Fry the carrots in the ghee for a minute.
- [ ] Add milk and mix it all well.
- [ ] Cover and cook until the carrots are soft.
- [ ] Now add sugar and give a good mix.
- [ ] Adding sugar will make the halwa watery.
- [ ] Allow the carrots to cook with the sugar , on medium flame.
- [ ] At the point when there is no water left in the halwa , make a well in the centre and add 2 more tablespoons ghee.
- [ ] Add the milk powder and mix well.
- [ ] The leftover ghee, nuts and cardamom powder can be added at this point.
- [ ] Mix it all well and serve hot or warm.
Interested to try other Halwas , here are a few ideas !