Sagu is a melange of vegetables cooked in spices and fresh coconut. It can be eaten with poori , chapati or roti. The best part is that it’s an oil free side dish. Try it !
1/2 cup french beans , chopped
1/2 cup carrots chopped
2 medium potatoes, cubed
for the masala
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 inch cinnamon stick
1 small onion , roughly chopped
1 small bunch coriander leaves
1/2 cup fresh coconut
2 green chillies
Salt to taste
2.5 cups water
- In a small pan , add cloves , cinnamon and poppy seeds.
- Dry roast for 30 seconds.
- Add onions and green chillies.
- Fry for a minute.
- Allow the masala to cool and grind it with coconut.
- Add water to make a smooth paste.
- In the end , add coriander leaves and pulse for 10 seconds.
- The coriander leaves should not become paste.
- In a big pot , add the vegetables , water and salt.
- Cook on medium flame until the vegetables are soft.
- Now add the ground masala and adjust salt.
- Mix it all well and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- At this Point adjust water to thin it down.
- Add a teaspoon of lemon juice and voila oil free sagu is ready to eat.
- Serve it hot with pooris , chapati or rice!
- Follow me on Facebook – /heapofspice
- Follow me on Instagram – heapofspice16