Rice Kesaribhat is a rich and indulgent sweet made with „Jeera Rice“. This rice is a short grain rice and very fragrant. The rice is infused with saffron which gives it a vibrant colour and flavour.
1 cup jeera rice * see notes
2 cups sugar
1.5 cups water
2 tablespoons cashewnuts , chopped
8 tablespoons ghee / clarified butter
1 big pinch saffron
1/2 teaspoon yellow food colour (optional)
2 & 1/4 th cup water to cook rice
- In a Bowl , add rice and wash it 2-3 times with water.
- Drain water and keep aside.
- In a non stick pan , add 2 tablespoons ghee.
- Allow ghee to melt, add cashews and fry until colour changes.
- Remove onto a plate and keep aside.
- Into the same ghee , add cloves and when the cloves impart fragrant smell , add the washed and drained rice.
- Fry the rice in ghee until the extra water is drained and rice is fragrant.
- Remove the rice into a cook bowl or add to a pressure cooker directly.
- Add 2&1/4 th cups water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Meanwhile take a big pinch of saffron in a small bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon water and set it aside.
- Once the rice is cooked , remove from pressure cooker.
- In a non stick pan , add 2 cups sugar and water.
- Bring water to a boil and add yellow food colour.
- Mix it well and add the cooked rice.
- Give the rice a good mix and allow the rice to cook in the sugar water until thick.
- The rice will soak the water and plump up again.
- Cook on medium flame and keep stirring once in a while.
- When the water has evaporated and the mixture is thick , add the saffron water and mix well.
- Now keep adding 6 tablespoons of ghee and allow the rice to soak the ghee.
- Keep stirring once in a while and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Once the kesaribhat is thick add the fried nuts.
- Give a good mix and serve it hot !
Note – the best rice to use for kesaribhat is Jeera Rice. This rice is a short grain rice and very flavourful when cooked. If you do not have this rice , then sona masuri rice can be used.
Follow me on Facebook – /heapofspice
Follow me on Instagram – heapofspice16