Upma one of the easiest breakfast to make and versatile too. Add as many veggies as you like or just use onions and green chillies. The taste does not change but it’s the right process that makes a good upma. Try it !
1 cup upma rava or Bombay rava
3 cups water
3 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon ghee
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
2-3 green chillies
1 medium onion , finely chopped
1 small carrot , grated
1 tomato, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh coconut
1 tablespoon coriander , chopped
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon urad dal
1 teaspoon channa dal
1 inch Ginger , grated
2 teaspoon lemon juice
Salt to taste
- In a thick bottomed pan , add oil.
- When oil is hot , add rava or semolina and fry on very low flame.
- The rava needs to fry and release its aroma. This step takes about 8-10 minutes.
- Keep stirring to avoid burning.
- Remove the rava onto a plate.
- Meanwhile keep 3 cups water to boil.
- The ratio of rave to water is 1:3. Even though upma looks runny after it cools a bit , it soaks up all the water.
- Now in the same pot , add 1 teaspoon ghee + 1 tablespoon oil.
- When hot , add it’s dal , channa dal, mustard seeds , curry leaves , turmeric,green chillies, ginger and onions.
- When the onions are cooked , add carrots and tomatoes. Give a good mix and add salt to taste.
- Now lower the heat to the lowest , add the roasted rava and mix well.
- Take the boiling water and pour into the rava slowly.
- Give a good mix and break any lumps.
- The flame should be at the lowest. Now cover and cook at low flame for 5 minutes.
- Open the lid and add lemon juice , coriander leaves, coconut and 2 tablespoons ghee.
- Give a good mix and hot upma is ready to serve.
- Serve it with chutney powder or yoghurt !
- Follow me on Facebook – /heapofspice
- Follow me on Instagram – heapofspice16