Spicy lentil stuffed flat bread which is also called as “kharada holige” . It’s super soft and goes well with ridge gourd chutney (recipe follows). The lentil stuffing is covered with maida and semolina dough. If eating all purpose flour is an issue , use the same stuffing to make whole wheat paratas !
Makes about 15 medium ones
1 cup toor dal
1 teaspoon organic turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
4-5 green chillies, finely chopped
1/2 cup fresh coconut
1 tablespoon oil
3 cups water for cooking the dal
2 tablespoons coriander, finely chopped
For the cover
1 cup maida / all purpose flour
1 cup fine semolina
1/2 teaspoon organic turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon + 2 tablespoons + 2 tablespoons oil
- For the filling, wash 1 cup toor dal 2 times with water and drain.
- Add turmeric, salt and 3 cups water.
- Cook for 2-3 whistles until the dal is soft .
- When the dal is hot , add coconut and mix with the dal.
- Keep mashing the dal as much as possible with the back of a spoon.
- Allow dal to cool down , add little at a time to a mixer and grind into smooth paste.
- Repeat the same with all the dal and kept aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil , and when hot add green chillies.
- Fry chillies for a minute.
- Add all the ground dal and cook on medium flame.
- Adjust salt if required at this stage.
- The idea is to remove water content from dal and yet the filling should be soft.
- Keep cooking on medium flame . This takes about 8-10 minutes depending on the water content.
- The dal is done when it starts leaving sides of the pan and also when touched with wet palm, the filling should not stick.
- Add coriander leaves and mix well.
- Allow to cool completely.
- The filling should be covered so that the dal does not dry out.
- The filling once cooled can be stored in an airtight box for 3-4 days.
For the outer cover
- In a big bowl , add maida , semolina , salt , turmeric and oil.
- Dry mix and adding little water at a time , make a very soft dough.
- The dough should be almost sticky.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil and spread on the dough evenly.
- Cover and rest the dough for atleast 3-4 hours. The longer the dough rest the softer it will become.
- After 2 hours, add another 2 tablespoons of oil.
To make the spicy poli
- Take a big lemon sized ball of the filling . Grease palms to avoid sticking.
- Pull another portion of the covering dough. Spread with hand and keep the filling in the Center.
- Pull the dough from all sides to cover the filing.
- Pull out any excess dough.
- Flatten the dough with hand, this helps distribution of the filling towards the edge.
- Take a backing sheet and grease with oil .
- Keep a dough patty in the middle and using oil keep pushing the filing and making a flat paratha shape.
- It can be shaped as thin as possible.
- Heat a tawa, put the baking sheet and cook until you get brown spots .
- Flip it and cook the other side too.
- Add ghee on top and serve it hot with ridge gourd chutney !
- Follow me on Facebook – /heapofspice
- Follow me on Instagram – heapofspice16