South Indian sambar using jackfruit seeds. Jackfruit seeds are a powerhouse of protein , useful in combating anaemia and promotes healthy eyesight and skin. The masala can be used to make any Sambar not just with these seeds !
200 gms fresh jackfruit seeds
1/2 cup toor dal
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon jaggery
1 tablespoon tamarind paste
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon oil
2 cups water
2 tablespoons oil
1 red chilli for tempering
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
1 tablespoons channa dal
2 teaspoon urad dal
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
10 red chillies
1/2 cup fresh coconut
1 teaspoon oil
- In a pot , add the jackfruit seeds , 2 teaspoons salt and 2 cups water.
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles , along with half cup toor dal and turmeric.
- In a pan , add all the ingredients for the masala, except the coconut.
- Roast the masala on low flame to avoid burning.
- Once the masala is roasted and cooled, add it to a mixer jar with coconut.
- Grind it to a smooth paste using water as required.
- Now in a pot , add 2 tablespoons oil.
- When the oil is hot add mustard seeds and a dry red chilli.
- Add the cooked seeds and fry for a minute.
- Add the masala paste and water.
- Add jaggery and tamarind paste.
- Bring it to a boil and add the cooked dal. Add more water to thin it down.
- Boil on medium flame for 5 mins stirring occasionally.
- Serve with hot rice !