Red Chutney is a bright red chutney served at restaurants that gives the perfect taste to a Masala Dosa. It’s also called kempu chutney in Kannada . The ingredients are few but it takes the dosa to the next level. The kashmiri red chilies or the ‘byadgi’ chillies can be used to achieve the bright colour. These chillies are not spicy but make the dish very palatable. This chutney is used as a filling in the mysore masala dosa. Try this recipe once and I am sure you would crave it everyday !
Makes 1 cup
1 teaspoon oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1.5 teaspoons cumin seeds/jeera
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
5 big pods garlic or 10-12 small pods
12 dry red chillies (non spicy)
1/4 th cup Water to grind
Salt to taste
- In a pan , add oil.
- When the oil is hot , add onions , cumin and coriander seeds.
- Roast for a minute.
- Add garlic and red chillies.
- Roast on low flame for 3-4 minutes.
- Cool the masala.
- In a Mixer jar , add the roasted masala, salt and water.
- Grind into a smooth paste.
- Remove into a bowl.
How to use
Dosa Batter * Video blow
Potato filling * Video blow
Coconut chutney * Video blow
Oil for roasting
Ghee for roasting
- heat a griddle on high until hot.
- lower the flame to low and sprinkle water.
- the griddle should be hot and at the same time cook on the top to spread the batter evenly.
- add a teaspoon of oil and spread using a kitchen towel.
- pour a laddle full of batter and in circular motions make a thin pan cake.
- pour oil on the sides and cook until crisp on medium.
- add a teaspoon of ghee for additional taste.
- Now spread 2 teaspoons of red chutney on the dosa evenly.
- place 2 tablespoons of potato filling and give it a minute more to cook and crisp.
- when the dosa is golden in colour fold the dosa into half.
- serve immediately with coconut chutney.