Aloo Bonda Chaat , baby potatoes deep fried in chickpea flour batter until crisp and topped with yoghurt and mint coriander chutney. A unique way to eat chaat … try it !
Makes 6-7 plates
500 gms baby potatoes
1 cup besan / chickpea flour
1/2 cup cornflour
1/4 th teaspoon soda
2 teaspoons red chilli powder (adjust according to your preference)
1 teaspoon jeera / cumin powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon hing / asafoetida
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
Makes 1 cup
1 small bunch pudina / mint leaves
1 small hand handful coriander leaves
1 green chilli
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon peanuts (skin removed & roasted)
2 teaspoons lemon juice
Red chilli powder
Yoghurt (to thick yoghurt add little water and beat it well until smooth , add little sugar and little salt. Mix well)
- In a big bowl , wash potatoes and add enough water.
- Add salt and pressure cook for a whistle.
- In a bowl , add besan , cornflour , red chilli powder , cumin powder , coriander powder , hing , salt , turmeric powder and give a dry mix.
- Add water little at a time to make a thick but flowing batter.
- Just before frying , add soda and beat the batter well.
- Now add all the potatoes and coat it well.
- Press the potatoes between palms to flatten and coat with besan.
- Drop the potatoes in hot oil and fry on medium flame until golden brown .
For the Chutney
- In a small mixie jar , add mint , coriander, salt , peanuts and green chilli.
- Add little water and lemon juice and grind until a fine paste.
- Remove into a bowl and keep aside.
To make chaat
- In a plate , flatten 4-5 fried potatoes.
- Top it with yoghurt , green chutney.
- Sprinkle red chilli powder , chaat masala and sev .
- Serve immediately !