Misal , is a wholesome curry which can include mung , moth beans or peas. The dry beans are soaked overnight and pressure cooked the next day and mixed with flavourful masala. This is served with lots of sev in top and bread or pav as accompaniment. The curry is rich in protein and contributes to a wholesome meal.
1 cup green moong beans
1 cup moth beans
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 teaspoon saunf seeds
6-7 dry red chillies (non spicy)
1 inch cinnamon stick
1 japathri flower
1 teaspoon star anise powder or 1 star anise
7-8 big garlic cloves
1/4 th cup dessicated coconut dry
1 teaspoon oil
4 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 inch Ginger grated
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 medium onion , chopped
1 big tomato , finely chopped
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Salt to taste
coriander leaves to garnish
Chopped coriander leaves
Want to try your hands to make fresh Pav bread , then here is a recipe for the same !
- Soak mung and moth beans in water overnight.
- Drain the water , add fresh water , 1 teaspoon salt and turmeric.
- Pressure cook until the beans are soft.
- For the masala : in a pan , add a teaspoon oil , add coriander seeds , cumin seeds , sesame seeds , saunf , peppercorns and red chillies.
- Fry on medium flame , until the masala changes colour and aromatic.
- Add cinnamon, japathri , star anise and garlic .
- Fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- At end , add coconut and switch off the flame.
- The heat from the pan will roast the coconut.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely.
- Transfer the masala to a mixer and grind into a smooth paste using water.
- For the gravy : in a pan , add 4 tablespoons oil .
- When the oil is hot , add cumin seeds and allow to splutter.
- Add turmeric , onions and grated ginger.
- Sauté for a minute and add tomatoes.
- Sauté tomatoes until soft and it releases oil.
- Add the ground masala and the water from cooked beans.
- Mix everything well and cook on medium flame until oil floats on top.
- In a small bowl , collect the oil on top and reserve it.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and switch off the flame.
- To serve : in a bowl , add 3-4 ladles of gravy , 1/2 cup cooked beans , to it with onions , tomatoes , peanuts , coriander leaves and lots of sev.
- Serve hot immediately with some pav or any bread !