Moong Dal Halwa – This rich halwa is made with yellow split moong dal , cooked in pure ghee and a dash of saffron. Adding sooji just a tablespoon , gives the halwa a great texture. Moong dal is often consumed during summer as it has a cooling effect on the body.Of course , since this is a rich sweet , moderation is the key 😃
1 cup yellow moong dal
1 cup sugar
3/4 th cup water
1 tablespoon sooji/semolina
1 big pinch saffron, soaked in a tablespoon of water
5 tablespoons ghee/ clarified butter
3 tablespoons of chopped nuts
- Soak the Moog dal in water for 5-6 hours.
- Drain water completely and add the dal to a blender.
- Grind the dal to a smooth paste. Add little water if necessary.
- In a heavy bottomed pan , add ghee and allow it to melt.
- When the ghee is hot , lower the gas and add semolina.
- Roast semolina until colour changes.
- Adding semolina gives a good texture to the halwa but it is optional.
- Now add the dal purée and keeping the gas on low , keep stirring and mixing to incorporate the ghee and dal.
- Break the lumps using a spatula and keep cooking.
The moong dal needs to loose its raw smell and turn fragrant. The colour also should change from pale yellow to bright golden yellow.
- This takes a while and patience , but the end product is rewarding.
- Keep stirring and always remember to cook on low flame,
- Once the dal has been cooked and fried in ghee , add saffron water , sugar and water.
- The dal will absorb the water and become soft.
- Keep cooking until all the water is evaporated and ghee leaves the pan.
- Many a times the moong dal releases extra ghee and you can remove this ghee into a bowl. Sounds great right !
- Add nuts of choice like pista , cashew and almonds.
- Give it a good mix and serve hot !
Note – The halwa can be stored in the refrigerator and because of the ghee the halwa tends to solidify. Warming the dal in a microwave or gas will help the dal to loosen up and it tastes good when served hot.
WANT EVEN MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES? follow me along on Facebook @heapofspice , Instagram heapofspice16 and Subscribe to my YouTube channel 👉 https://m.youtube.com/c/HeapofSpice