Focaccia is a crusty Italian bread . It’s seasoned with herbs and topped with different vegetables like olives or onions. It can be eaten as a starter or as a snack. This is my take on the trending garden focaccia , a bread art. Get as creative as you can here 😃
700 gms all purpose flour
9 gms active dry yeast
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 cup olive oil , in total
1 teaspoon sugar
1.5 cups water * check notes
1 mushroom , sliced thinly
5-6 olives , cut into small rounds and 2-3 whole olives
1/2 onion , thinly sliced
2 slices red capsicum
1 tomato cut into rounds
1 small yellow capsicum , cut into thin strips
Few sprigs of coriander , thyme, basil
2 tablespoons coriander mint chutney
- In a big bowl , add flour , yeast and sugar.
- Dry mix until well combined.
- Make a well in the centre and add 3 tablespoons olive oil and salt.
- Mix well , pour lukewarm water 1/2 cup at a time and mix with hard or hand blender .
- The dough should be a sticky dough and here I have use 1.5 cups water in total.
- Some flours require more than this to form a dough. So adjust accordingly.
- When a rough dough is formed , use a hand mixed and on high speed knead the dough for about 15 mins.
- You know the dough is ready when it’s shiny and soft.
- Use a tablespoon olive oil to gather the dough and tuck it at the bottom.
- Keep the dough in an oiled bowl and allow it to rise for 2-3 hours.
- If the dough has risen in an hour , punch it again and rest it.
- When ready to bake , pre heat oven to 180 c only on the bottom rod.
- This is to ensure that the vegetables don’t burn.
- On a baking sheet , place a parchment paper and oil it lightly.
- Place the rise dough and with oiled hands stretch and pull to make a rough circle or rectangle.
- Brush with olive oil on the dough and start placing all the herbs and veggies.
- Press them into the dough to hold in place.
- Once satisfied with the design , brush olive oil on the veggies.
- Allow the dough to rise again for 45 mins.
- Now press the veggies again in place so that they do not come off the bread when baked.
- Punch holes with finger in empty spaces , this ensures that the bread does not rise above your design.
- Place in the below rack and bake for about 35-40 mins.
- Keep an eye on your oven at all times .
After the bread is baked , switch the baking to top and bottom rods.
- Increase temp to 200c and bake for just 5 mins , until the top is golden in colour.
- Remove from oven and glaze with olive oil immediately.This gives a shiny surface .
- Cover with a cloth and allow 10-15 mins to settle.
- Cut into desired shape and your own handmade art is ready to be devoured !
Note : Experiment with different kinds of vegetables like asparagus , chillies , broccoli , marinated cauliflower, cherry tomatoes etc .
The same recipe can be used to make pizza base , dinner rolls too. This is one crazy recipe 😜