Akki Rotti is a staple breakfast in Karnataka. This is made using rice flour and spices. Here I have used methi or fenugreek which is grown at home using hydroponic method. The fresh leaves add a very subtle yet great taste to this recipe. Check out on how to grow methi/fenugreek hassle free on your kitchen counter using just water !
makes 10 medium ones
2 cups rice flour
1 tablespoon cumin/jeera seeds
1 cup methi leaves chopped *check out how to grow methi leaves at home
salt to taste
3-4 green chillies finely chopped
1 big onion finely chopped
oil for drizzling
water to make a dough
- in a big bowl, add rice flour, methi leaves, onions, green chillies, cumin seeds and salt.
- dry mix once so that all the ingredients are mixed well.
- add water little at a time and make a soft dough , slightly wet.
- rest for a few minutes.
- heat a griddle , on a baking sheet , grease with oil.
- take a big lemon sized dough and with the help of oil or water pat the dough on the baking sheet to for a round.
- the rotti should be thin and not thick.
- once you are happy with the shape and size , lift the baking sheet and place on the hot griddle.
- after 30 seconds remove the baking sheet carefully.
- drizzle the oil on sides and close it with a lid.
- cook on medium – high until brown spots appear.
- open the lid and flip the rotti over and allow it to cook .
- when both sides are done , remove onto a plate and serve immediately with coconut chutney or chutney powder , drizzled with oil or ghee..
Other kinds of Rotti’s using rice flour