Learn some tips & tricks to make that perfect masala dosa !
Masala Dosa is one of the easiest and wholesome breakfasts one can eat. Dosa is a crepe that is made of fermented batter. The batter is made with a mix of rice , urad dal , beaten rice and fenugreek seeds. They are soaked for 5-6 hours but I prefer to soak it overnight. The rice mixture is ground into a smooth batter and fermented for 8-11 hours, until the batter rises.
if you want to check a video how how to make crisp dosas , check out here :
Tips for making the perfect “Masala Dosa”.
- First and foremost is to have a good batter that has fermented well. Fermented batter makes the dosa soft and has a good taste.
- Check out How to make the perfect dosa batter 👉 https://youtu.be/3tzO3lwdcvA
- Once you have the batter , next step is to get the golden colour in the dosa. For this add a teaspoon of sugar just before making dosa. This helps to get the perfect browning.
- Next step is to make the red chutney for the dosa. This chutney is really simple but adds lot of colour and taste to your dosa. Check out how to make this red chutney 👉 https://youtu.be/E0mfyUw7C-w
- Now it’s time to make the potato filling. Check out how to make the potato filling 👉 https://youtu.be/KlB9BHgzkoQ
- As an accompaniment is our humble and versatile coconut chutney that goes well with any dish. Check out how to make the chutney 👉 https://youtu.be/oKKEWDo6m1o
- When all the above steps are achieved, now making the masala dosa.
- Using a iron tawa or a non stick tawa is ideal for making dosa. I use Futura brand non stick tawa, and this is exclusively to make only dosas. This makes it easier to have a clean tawa and the end product is a perfect dosa.
- The tawa needs to be really hot and in a bowl keep water ready.
- Just before making dosa , lower the flame to the lowest , sprinkle water on the tawa. This helps to bring down the temperature of the tawa.
- Using a tissue or a cloth , wipe the tawa clean. Remember that the flame is still at the lowest setting.
- Take a ladle full of batter and pour in the middle. Spread the batter by moving the ladle in circle motion.
- The middle of the dosa and the end of the dosa should be slightly thicker.
- Spread oil on the sides and middle of the dosa. Now increase the flame medium-high and cover the dosa with a lid.
- Let the dosa cook for a minute.
- Now remove the lid and drizzle a teaspoon of ghee. This definitely makes your dosa tastier.
- Add a tablespoon of the red chutney and spread it around the dosa and the ghee helps to cook the chutney.
- Place a big dollop of potato filling in the middle and cook until the colour turns golden brown.
- Fold the dosa into half and voila your perfect Masala Dosa should be ready.
- Serve the scrumptious dosa with coconut chutney !
- Remember to lower the flame , sprinkle water (to bring down the temperature) , wipe the water and then pour the dosa batter , EVERYTIME !
- If you make the masala dosa , do Tag me in Instagram @heapofspice16.
Subscribe to my channel 👉 https://m.youtube.com/c/HeapofSpice