A delicious Eggplant Raita , whole eggplant roasted in airfryer until cooked and soft. Tempered with mustard seeds. A great accompaniment for rice , pulav or biryani !
1 big Aubergine / Eggplant /Baingan
1/2 cup thick yoghurt
2 green chillies, finely chopped
Finely chopped fresh coriander
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon sugar ( if yoghurt is sour )
Oil for greasing + 1 teaspoon for tempering
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon urad dal
2-3 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- Grease little oil on a foil , wash Aubergine and smear little oil.
- Using a fork , poke few holes on all the sides of the eggplant. This will help the eggplant to cook through.
- Place the eggplant on the aluminium foil.
- Pre heat air fryer for 10 mins @200c and place the eggplant in the airfryer.
- If using oven , preheat oven @ 200c and place in the oven.
- Cook until soft for about 35-40 mins.
- Flip the sides a couple of times in between so the all sides are evenly cooked.
- Using tongs , place the cooked eggplant in a bowl and close the lid.
- This step helps to peel the skin easily.
- When the eggplant is still hot but can be touched , peel the skin.
- Mash the eggplant until smooth and pulpy , using a fork.
- Add yoghurt, green chillies , salt , coriander and sugar.
- Mix it all well.
- For tempering : in a pan , heat a teaspoon of oil.
- Add mustard and urad dal.
- When it splatters , add it to the yoghurt and mix well.
- Additionally 2-3 tablespoons of pomegranate seeds can be added.
- This gives a good crunch to the raita.
- Note : the eggplants can also roast directly on flame. Roasting directly on flame gives an earthiness to the dish.
Fancy another simple raita , here you go 👉
Follow on Instagram here 👇🏻
Want to pin the recipe for later use 👇
Rate this recipe 👇