Crispy Spicy Corn & How to separate corn kernels from the cob – fresh corn kernels , spices and fried. A delicious evening snack!
Serves 3-4 people
1 fresh corn on the cob
1/2 cup corn flour
1 tablespoon rice flour
1 tablespoon red chilli powder
2 teaspoons chaat masala
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
squeeze of lemon
coriander leaves , finely chopped
- In a big pot , add enough water and a teaspoon of salt.
- Bring it to boil , add corn kernels.
- Boil until the colour changes to bright yellow and the corn plumps up.
- Drain the water and transfer to a bowl.
- Add the boiled corn , chilli powder , chaat masala , cornflour , rice powder and salt.
- Dry mix the corn with the spices.
- The mixture should be slightly wry and not powdery.
- If the mixture looks too dry , add a teaspoon of water to help the cornflour stick to the kernels.
- Heat oil , add corn and fry in medium hot oil until crispy.
- Remove and drain the fried corn onto a kitchen paper, to help absorb excess oil.
- Fry all the corn and transfer it into a bowl.
- Adjust salt and squeeze few drops of lemon juice.
- Add fresh coriander leaves and finely chopped green chillies (optional)
- Serve immediately !
- Note : it’s important to keep the corn moist , so that the cornflour sticks to the corn while frying. If the mixture is powdery , add just a little (about a teaspoon) of water , to bring it together.
- The oil needs to be hot , else the coating will separate while frying. So fry in medium hot oil.
- This needs to be served immediately as the crispness is lost with time.
- This definitely soaks up a like else more oil than other fried stuff , so moderation is the key !