Samosas are fried triangles with spicy potato filling. Using Air fryer , now making guilt free samosas are easier than ever before . The taste and texture as against the fried ones is almost the same. Healthy air fryer / baked samosa recipe, filled with potato and peas. Perfect for a rainy day!
What are samosas?
Indian Samosas are normally savoury deep-fried fritters filled with spicy mashed potatoes. They are made with meat or lentils too. In African cuisine its often called “sambusa“. Sambusa is filled with lentils and very mild in taste.
2 cups all purpose flour
1.5 teaspoons salt
1 big pinch ajwain
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons ghee
For Mint Coriander paste
3-4 tablespoons fresh mint leaves
1 small bunch coriander leaves
3 green chillies
1 inch ginger
For the Dry Masala
2 teaspoons cumin/jeera powder
1/2 teaspoon hing/asafoetida
1 teaspoon ground kasuri methi
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon pepper powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 tablespoon coarsly pounder coriander seeds
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon oil + oil for brushing
1 tablespoon chopped cashews
1 tablespoon fry grapes / kishmish
7-8 medium boiled potatoes
Salt to taste
- To make the chutney – add ingredients under the mint coriander paste and blend into a coarse paste.
- In a bowl , add ingredients from the fry masala and mix it all well.
- To make the dough –
- Add all the ingredients flour , salt , baking powder and Ajwain .Dry mix .
- Add ghee and rub into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Use water to made a tight but slightly soft dough.
- Do not knead much , just mix to form a dough.
- Rest for an hour.
- Pull a big lemon sized dough and roll it into a roti. Keep it slightly thick.
- To make the filling – in a pan , add oil and heat it up .
- Add cashews and fry until golden.
- Now add the dry masala powder and fry for 30 seconds to freshen up the masala.
- Add the mint and coriander paste and fry for a minute.
- Add boiled potatoes and mash it . Leave small chunks of potatoes.
- Add fry grapes and adjust salt.
- Cool the filling completely.
Make samosa and air fryer @200c for about 20 mins. Keep flipping in between for even colouring.
- Before placing samosa just brush with oil and brush with oil /ghee after it comes out of the airfryer.