This Valentine’s Day , try this soft , moist and spongy red velvet sheet cake. It’s super easy to make and the best part is , it’s eggless. The texture and the taste of the cake enhances as the cake rests. So a wonderful make ahead recipe.
Makes 1 sheet cake
3 cups cake flour * written in the method section
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 th cup oil
1.5 cups sugar
1 cup yoghurt (thick)
1 cup buttermilk ( to make buttermilk add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to the milk. Stir it and allow it to sit for 10 mins)
Pink + Red gel food colours
200 ml whipping cream (chilled)
200 ml thick coconut cream (chilled)
4 tablespoons powdered sugar
Other Cakes to try …….
- Pre heat oven to 170c.
- Line a sheet pan with baking sheet. If using 8 inch round tin , then divide the batter between 2 or 3 pans.
- To make cake flour , in a bowl measure and add 3 cups of flour. Now remove 3 tablespoons of flour and add 3 tablespoons of cornflour.
- This flour will give better structure to your cake .
- In a bowl add all the dry ingredients – cake flour , cocoa powder , baking powder , salt and sift it.
- In another bowl add the wet ingredients – buttermilk , yoghurt , oil , vanilla extract and colour.
- Using a had mix or using hand beater mix the wet ingredients until we’ll combined.
- Now add the wet to dry ingredients in batches and mix in sweeping motions until no dry flour is left and a smooth cake batter.
- Pour the cake batter into the tin .
- Spread it to all the corners.
- Tap the tin on the counter top a few times to remove air bubbles.
- Bake for about 35 mins until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once baked , remove from the oven and cook it completely.
To make a topping
- In a bowl , add whipping cream and coconut milk.
- Best on height until peaks form and the cream is thick.
- Add powdered sugar and beat gently until combined.
- Add the cream to a piping bag and spread on the cake.
- Cut into slices and enjoy !
Notes : the cake needs to rest for a few hours , the taste and texture enhances.