Super delicious vegan chocolate mousse made with dark chocolate & the secret ingredient to give that creamy,airy mousse …aquafaba ..!!
Eggless /vegan mousse is hard to replicate because it uses egg whites to give the mousse that airy texture. But wait no need to fret , vegetarians and people who don’t eat eggs for various reasons can now enjoy that lovely mousse using chickpeas brie. Yes the juice that you used to drain off from the can of chickpeas is the golden liquid which is used instead of egg whites. The chickpeas liquid needs to be drained and cooled before whipping. It the liquid is warm , it will not froth up. The bowl that you use to whip needs to clean and grease free. Just 7-8 minutes into whipping, the liquid turns into a white froth and needs to be whipping until stiff peaks. What a great alternative, that you can unimaginably use it in any recipe that calls for egg whites. Just mix all the ingredients and transfer to bowls to set . Voila a scrumptious mousse is ready to be devoured. There is absolutely no taste of chickpeas !
serves 5-6 people
1 can of drained chickpeas liquid , chilled overnight
200 gms dark chocolate, melted
1 teaspoon white vinegar
Optional to decorate
Whipping cream (sweetened or add powdered sugar )
- In a large bowl , add the chickpeas liquid and vinegar.
- Vinegar helps to whip the AQUAFABA better.
- using a hand mixer , whip the liquid until it froths up and turns white.
- it should hold peaks , takes about 8-10 minutes.
- add melted and cooled chocolate give it a gentle mix using sweeping motions.
- try not to knock off too much air .
- when the mix is well combined, pour into mounds and refrigerate for 5-6 hours or best overnight.
- Once set , whip up some whipping cream and use piping bag to decorate.
- Serve with some fresh strawberries.
Note : dark chocolate or any chocolate you like to eat can be used. The intensity of chocolate pops up when dark chocolate is used. But dark chocolate can add a little bitterness to the mousse , if you do not like that , add little more powdered sugar after mixing the mousse. Always taste the Mousse before setting, so that you can adjust sweetness as per your liking .