Baklava is a sweet dessert made of layers of phyllo filled with chopped walnuts and pistachios, soaked with syrup. Here I have used fresh orange juice to give this dessert a unique taste.This Turkish dessert is very popular in the middle eastern countries.
What is traditional baklava made of?
Traditional Turkish baklava, also known as fistikli baklava is typically made of phyllo sheets, finely crushed pistachios, clarified butter/ghee , and a simple syrup made of sugar, water, and lemon juice.
You’ll find many variations of this beautiful dessert from Middle Eastern baklava, where the simple syrup is scented with rosewater, orange blossem water etc. In this recipe , I have used fresh orange juice and cardammom to give it a very unique flavour.
- Phyllo pastry- find frozen phyllo sheets in the freezer section or in aisle of Turkish condiments.
- Nut mixture- pistachios, walnuts, hazelnut, sugar. You can change the nut mixture according to what you have. For example, you can use just walnuts or pistachios, but be sure to have enough of whichever nut you use.
- Orange syrup- water, sugar, orange , cardammon and lemon juice.
Makes 15 small pieces
1 phyllo pastry dough about 400 gms
1 cup mixed nuts like pistachios & walnuts
1/2 cup clarified butter / ghee , melted
For Orange Syrup
1 big orange , juice squeezed
1 cup water
1.5 cups sugar
1 teaspoon cardamom powder
1 tablespoon lemon juice
- First chop the nuts using a good processor.
- The consistency of the nuts should not be fine powder but bits and pieces of the nuts.
- Squeeze juice from a big orange or use 2 small oranges.
- Remove the phyllo pastry gently from the pack and unroll it.
- The phyllo pastry is very delicate and needs to be handled carefully.
- If a couple of sheets break , it should not an issue and can be used in the baklava.
- Cut the phyllo sheets to fit the pan you are using.
- The sides of the sheets can be used to make bit sized baklava.
- Keep the phyllo sheets covers to prevent it from drying.
- Now brush the pan with melted ghee / clarified butter and then place a sheet of phyllo.
- Again brush melted ghee / clarified butter and place another phyllo.
- This process is repeated for half of the pastry sheets.
- Now add the chopped nuts and spread evenly.
- Now use the next half of phyllo sheets .
- Place one phyllo sheet on the nuts , press a little and brush melted ghee / clarified butter.
- Place another phyllo sheet and brush melted ghee / clarified butter.
- Repeat with the rest of the sheets.
- Once all the sheets are arranged , cut the baklava into desired pieces.
- Now generously spread the top with melted ghee / clarified butter.
- This ensures that the phyllo sheets beneath also get fresh aroma of melted ghee / clarified butter.
- Bake in a pre heated oven @ 150c for about 30 mins until the top is golden in colour.
- To prepare the orange syrup , on the stove top , kept a saucepan and add sugar , water and orange juice.
- Cook until the sugar syrup bemoaned slightly thick.
- When the sugar syrup is sticky , switch off and add lemon juice .
- Lemon juice prevents crystallisation of the syrup.
- Add cardamom and give it a good mix.
- When the baklava is almost cooled and the syrup should be hot , pour it evenly over the baklava.
- Allow the baklava to soak the syrup for 4-5 hours and then enjoy !